It is a dream for many people to become a chef in a big restaurant. Though the most important skill required is to cook delicious food, this alone is not enough. A chef job comes with a lot of responsibilities and there are specific requirements which need to be fulfilled. In order to become a chef, one either needs to attend a relevant school or work in restaurant as an apprentice to learn the tricks of the trade. However, it is always better to enroll in a professional program so as to reach at the top in lesser time.
Most of people who are in this profession will confirm that it is not an easy job and requires years of hard work and practice. Here is what the educational requirements are for a chef job:
- Vocational training – These are usually for a period of 2 or 4 years. The time will be spent in learning to prepared recipes from different cuisines across the world. The trick lies in practicing them even after school so as to attain mastery.
- Commercial food preparation programs – This will enable one to join a reputable organization as a cook without starting as a low skilled worker.
- Apprenticeship – These run for 3 years and during this time, one will learn the art of preparing, mastering and presenting food to clients. It is necessary that one completes this so that the management of the relevant establishment does not have any doubts regarding one’s capabilities.
- Whilst choosing a culinary school, one has to make sure that it is recognized by major restaurants. Only then will a person be able to get a job as soon as the course is completed.
Once a person acquires the qualification to become a chef, he or she can work as one of the following:
- Sauce chef – Role involves preparing different sauces, stews, etc.
- Fish cook – The chef will be required to prepare dishes from fish.
- Vegetable cook – As the name suggests, the job is to prepare vegetables, soups, eggs, etc.
- Roast cook – Prepares roast meat and the relevant gravies.
- Pantry chef – Makes salads and other cold foods.
- Pastry chef – Prepares food items that need baking, usually, desserts.
After working in one of the above roles, one will learn the attributes of how to become a chef and rise higher in ranks to become the head.